2017 Petite Sirah
Deep opaque purple color, from vines planted in 1976, our nation's bicentennial year! Deep, dark and hyper-concentrated, the nose explodes with blackberry, black currant, baking chocolate and white pepper spice. Rich flavors of cocoa and blackberries dominate with deft touches of plums and violets. Remarkably smooth and lush. A Petite Sirah for wine lovers.
Planted in 1976 the estate Petite Sirah vineyard is located on a sloped parcel that benefits from cooling maritime breezes that flow inward from the Pacific along the Alexander Valley benchlands. Well-drained soil rich in sand, clay and volcanic stone help create wine with varietal purity and fine, integrated tannins
Hand harvested and native yeast fermented, only 10% of the grapes were destemmed, the other 90% were hand sorted whole clusters to allow the grapes to begin with an enzymatic fermentation which elevates flavor in a near absence of tannins to deliver an exceptionally soft fruit core. Eventually the yeast that live on the outside of the berries took over the fermentation until the wine went dry. This wine aged on 20% new French oak aging prior to bottling.